Travelling to Europe in the Car in March – you may need a Green Card

UPDATE: New advice from BBC on travelling abroad in the event of no deal Brexit


Guidance from the Association of British Insurers (ABI) and Motor Insurance Bureau (MIB) is that drivers should be prepared to provide a Green Card to authorities, when driving abroad after midnight on the 29th March 2019, if there is a no-deal Brexit.

Why is a Green Card needed?

A Green Card is an international certificate of insurance which guarantees that the motorist has the necessary minimum motor insurance cover for travel in the country they are visiting. These certificates prove that you are suitably insured to drive in these countries.

What does it mean for you?

At present, you may have a motor insurance policy that allows you to drive within the European Union without additional paperwork. However, if you are planning a trip to the EU with your vehicle in March or around Easter, and that trip will take place on, during or after midnight on the 29th March 2019, and there is a no-deal Brexit you will need to speak to your insurer about getting a Green Card.

If you are travelling after the 29th of March and we are in a no-deal scenario you will also need to get a Green Card for your trip.

NB: A physical copy of a Green Card on green paper is needed when travelling, digital copies are not currently accepted. If you arrive at the border without a physical Green Card, you may be breaking the law.

What information will I need to apply for a Green Card?

To apply for your Green Card, your insurer will want to know:
• The vehicle registration
• The name/s of the driver/s
• The dates of your trip
• The countries you will be visiting.
When and how should you apply for a green card?

The ABI has advised that only physical Green Cards will be accepted. So you need to make sure you have enough time to request and receive your Green Card. Please be aware you will need a Green Card for both your vehicle and any trailer etc. you may be taking.

As we are unsure if we will be facing a no-deal scenario, your best option is to advise your insurer of your trip as soon as possible so that your Green Card can be posted to you. (The ABI currently advises to contact your insurer three weeks to a month before you travel). If we handle your motor or fleet insurance please call and speak to your Account Handler who will assist you with your Green Card application.